- Administration Offices are still CLOSED to the public.
- Indian Registration Administrator (IRA) is available by email or phone during regular business hours for Confirmation of Registration letters or assistance over the phone with completing required forms for SCIS applications.
- IRA does not accept Third Party requests. Members must contact IRA themselves. IRA cannot discuss any registration information of another member with anyone as it is their confidential information and I do not have written permission, no exceptions.
- Secured Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) card applications from before and during March 2020 Prince George and Fort Babine dates have been submitted to the National SCIS Processing Unit office in Gatineau, Quebec within a week of application. Processing dates will be delayed due to COVID-19. If you would like to check the progress of your application or if your information has changed since applying, you can call toll free 1(866) 567-9604 or click here to email.
- Birth Registration application processing time is 6 months to 2 years (depending on complexity of the file) will also be delayed due to COVID-19. If you would like to know the status of your birth registration application, visit: https:/www.canada.ca/indian-status for the list of regional offices or call 1(866) 567-9604
- If you have a Life Events (Birth Registration, Marriage, Divorce, Death, and for Band Transfer) that needs to be recorded, contact Lake Babine Nation IRA
- *See May 2020 update below for COVID-19 Update from Indigenous Services Canada for Best Practices surrounding Expired Status Cards during COVID-19.
Best Practices Surrounding Expired Status Cards During COVID-19
Indigenous Services Canada Link:
COVID-19: Office closures
Due to the coronavirus outbreak, all Indigenous Services Canada offices for Indian status and secure status card applications will be closed until further notice.
- To apply by mail, visit Are you applying for Indian status or How to apply for a status card. Processing times, including return of original documents, are delayed.
- Indian status does not expire. Your registration number confirms your status and can be used to access some services and programs.
- During this time, service providers should accept status cards or Temporary Confirmation of Registration Documents (TCRDs), with identification, even if the renewal or expiry date has passed, until offices re-open.
Visit Coronavirus and Indigenous communities to find out how to apply for COVID-19-related benefits.
Indian Registration Administrator
Lake Babine Nation
PO Box 879 Burns Lake, BC V0J 1E0
T: (250) 692-4700 | TF: 1 (888) 692-3214
The Certificate of Indian Status, more commonly referred to as a Status Card, is an official form of identification issued by Indian Northern Affairs Canada to a person who is registered as an Indian under the provisions of the Indian Act. Card holders are entitled to service and benefits that include non-insured healthcare and certain tax exemptions on purchases.
Acceptable Identification for Status Card Issuance
CERTIFICATE OF INDIAN STATUS (CIS) *Paper Laminate Card
WHO CAN APPLY FOR A CIS STATUS CARD?
- Adults (16+)
- A registered Indian of at least 16 years old can apply for his or her first, renewal, or replacement CIS on his or her own behalf.
- An Adult CIS is valid for 5 years from date of issue
- Children (15 and under)
- A registered Indian of 15 years old or younger must have his or her parents or guardians apply for his or her first CIS.
- A registered Indian of at least 12 years old can apply for a renewal or replacement of a CIS.
- A Child CIS is valid for 3 years from date of issue
- Applicants for a CIS must provide proof of their identity along with their completed application form before a CIS can be issued to them.
- The Issuing Officer must ensure that the identification presented matches the information in the Indian Register.
- ** ABSOLUTELY NO CERTIFIED/PHOTOCOPIED ID OR SIN CARDS ACCEPTED **
SECURED CERTIFICATE OF INDIAN STATUS (SCIS)
Processing time: 2-4 months after Indigenous Services Canada receives completed application
*Processing time delayed during COVID-19
Expiration: Adult ages 16+ (10 years), Child(ren) Ages 15 & under (5 years)
APPLICATION FOR ALREADY REGISTERED PERSONS REQUIREMENTS
- Original Completed SCIS Application for already registered (click here for application instructions)
- Original Guarantor Declaration
- Copy of one (1) Valid piece of Government issued Photo ID (front and back) *Must be certified by the Guarantor
BIRTH REGISTRATION REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Original Application for Registration
- Original Birth Certificate with parental information
- Original Guarantor Declaration
- Copy of Applicant/Applying parent/legal guardian’s Valid Photo ID *Must be certified by the Guarantor
- Copy of any Name Linking documents (ie. Marriage Certificate, Legal name change Certificate, Court Order, etc) *Only required if the applicant’s name or applying parent’s name is different from their supporting ID
- Original Statutory Declarations *Only required for the purpose of unstated parentage
- Copy of Legal Custody Documents *Only required where a court order or agreement exists referring to custody of a child/dependant adult
- Original 2 Passport style photos *Only required when requested and must be certified by the guarantor
MARRIAGE EVENT REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Original Marriage Certificate (eg. issued by Vital Statistics) *Note: Marriage registrations and church registrations are no longer acceptable
- Original Declaration of surname on marriage or written statement
DIVORCE EVENT REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Copy of Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute
- Original Request to record Divorce
DEATH EVENT REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Copy of Death Document *Acceptable documentation: Vital Statistics Death Record or Extract; Church Death Certificate; Coroner’s Report; or Burial permit/Internment Certificate
BAND TRANSFER REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Original letter of reason for transfer to Chief and Council for IRA to have presented
- Original Accepting BCR for ISC
- Original Consent to Transfer for ISC
- Copy of Legal custody documents *Only Required where a court order or agreement exists referring to custody of child/dependant adult