Indian Registration Administrator
Lake Babine Nation
PO Box 879 Burns Lake, BC V0J 1E0
T: (250) 692-4700 | TF: 1 (888) 692-3214
Administration Offices are CLOSED to the public. Unfortunately, we are not scheduling appointments at this time. However, services are limited (Confirmation of Registration letter, SCIS applications, and recording Life Events) and are accessible via email.
- In the event that you’ve lost all your personal Identification, you will need start off by visiting a Service BC to order your Birth Certificate. Once you obtain your Birth Certificate you can continue to regain your other ID’s using your Birth Certificate.
- Indian Registration Administrator (IRA) does not accept Third Party requests. Members must contact IRA themselves. IRA cannot discuss any registration information of another member with anyone as it is their confidential information and IRA does not have written permission, NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Secured Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) card applications from before and during March 2020 Prince George and Fort Babine dates have been submitted to the National SCIS Processing Unit office in Gatineau, Quebec within a week of application. Processing times are normally two (2) – four (4) months, but will be delayed due to COVID-19. If you would like to check the progress of your application or if your information has changed since applying, you can call toll free 1(866) 567-9604 or email aadnc.infoPubs.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Birth Registration application processing time is 6 months to 2 years (depending on complexity of the file) will also be delayed due to COVID-19. If you would like to know the status of your birth registration application, visit: https:/www.canada.ca/indian-status for the list of regional offices or call 1(866) 567-9604
- If you have a Life Events (Birth Registration, Marriage, Divorce, Death, or Band Transfer) that needs to be recorded, contact Lake Babine Nation IRA
- *See May 2020 update below for COVID-19 Update from Indigenous Services Canada for Best Practices surrounding Expired Status Cards during COVID-19.
Best Practices Surrounding Expired Status Cards During COVID-19
CERTIFICATE OF INDIAN STATUS (CIS) *Paper Laminate Card
CIS CARDS ARE NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME, SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE
SECURED CERTIFICATE OF INDIAN STATUS (SCIS)
Processing time: 2-4 months after Indigenous Services Canada receives completed application
*Processing time delayed during COVID-19
Expiration: Adult ages 16+ (10 years), Child(ren) Ages 15 & under (5 years)
APPLICATION FOR ALREADY REGISTERED PERSONS REQUIREMENTS
- Original Completed SCIS Application for already registered (can be emailed or mailed to you)
- Original Guarantor Declaration (can be emailed or mailed to you)
- Copy of one (1) Valid piece of Government issued Photo ID (front and back) *Must be certified by the Guarantor
- Photo Options:
- Provide two (2) passport photos stamped by photographer, verified and signed on the back of one by Guarantor
- Download from Apple iTunes or Google Play, follow instructions and tips. Guarantor must be present
- SAMPLE SCIS APPLICATION, SAMPLE GUARANTOR DECLARATION, AND SAMPLE PHOTOCOPIED IDENTIFICATION – CLICK HERE TO VIEW
SCIS Photo App
Indigenous Services Canada is proud to announce the launch of a new photo app designed to simplify the application process for a Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS). The photo app lets applicants take a photo with a smartphone and submit it online as part of their SCIS application.
Available as a free download from Google Play and App Store, the new app will allow applicants to capture their own, eliminating the cost of a photographer and making the application process more accessible and convenient to First Nations people and communities across the country.
The SCIS Photo App will allow the department to receive photos transmitted straight from smartphones into a secure database exclusively for SCIS applications. The photos can then be easily matched to the completed application form. All information provided through the app is encrypted, and collection and use of personal information is in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Please contact Indian Registration for acceptable Identification and Guarantor eligibility/duties.
BIRTH REGISTRATION REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Original Application for Registration
- Original Birth Certificate with parental information
- Original Guarantor Declaration
- Copy of Applicant/Applying parent/legal guardian’s Valid Photo ID *Must be certified by the Guarantor
- Copy of any Name Linking documents (ie. Marriage Certificate, Legal name change Certificate, Court Order, etc) *Only required if the applicant’s name or applying parent’s name is different from their supporting ID
- Original Statutory Declarations *Only required for the purpose of unstated parentage
- Copy of Legal Custody Documents *Only required where a court order or agreement exists referring to custody of a child/dependant adult
- Original 2 Passport style photos *Only required when requested and must be certified by the guarantor
MARRIAGE EVENT REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Original Marriage Certificate (eg. issued by Vital Statistics) *Note: Marriage registrations and church registrations are no longer acceptable
- Original Declaration of surname on marriage or written statement
DIVORCE EVENT REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Copy of Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute
- Original Request to record Divorce
DEATH EVENT REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Copy of Death Document *Acceptable documentation: Vital Statistics Death Record or Extract; Church Death Certificate; Coroner’s Report; or Burial permit/Internment Certificate
BAND TRANSFER REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Original letter of reason for transfer to Chief and Council for IRA to have presented
- Original Accepting BCR for ISC
- Original Consent to Transfer for ISC
- Copy of Legal custody documents *Only Required where a court order or agreement exists referring to custody of child/dependant adult