Indigenous Services Canada Link:
COVID-19: Office closures
Due to the coronavirus outbreak, all Indigenous Services Canada offices for Indian status and secure status card applications will be closed until further notice.
- To apply by mail, visit Are you applying for Indian status or How to apply for a status card. Processing times, including return of original documents, are delayed.
- Indian status does not expire. Your registration number confirms your status and can be used to access some services and programs.
- During this time, service providers should accept status cards or Temporary Confirmation of Registration Documents (TCRDs), with identification, even if the renewal or expiry date has passed, until offices re-open.
Visit Coronavirus and Indigenous communities to find out how to apply for COVID-19-related benefits.
Dear Lake Babine Nation Members
- Applications for Secured Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) and Birth Registrations completed during the week of March 16, 2020 will unfortunately be delayed as all three offices that provide services are limited (Ottawa ON, Gatineau QC, and Vancouver BC).
- Any questions about Secured Status Cards (SCIS), Certificate of Indian Status (Paper Laminated Cards / CIS), Birth Registration(s), Life Events, or Band Transfer please email Indian Registration Administrator, Mesiy (Thank you).
Indian Registration Administrator
Lake Babine Nation
PO Box 879 Burns Lake, BC V0J 1E0
T: (250) 692-4700 | TF: 1 (888) 692-3214
The Certificate of Indian Status, more commonly referred to as a Status Card, is an official form of identification issued by Indian Northern Affairs Canada to a person who is registered as an Indian under the provisions of the Indian Act. Card holders are entitled to service and benefits that include non-insured healthcare and certain tax exemptions on purchases.
CERTIFICATE OF INDIAN STATUS (CIS) *Paper Laminate Card
Expiration: Adult ages 16+ (5 years), Child(ren) Ages 15 & under (3 years)
Adults (16+): Acceptable Identification for CIS Issuance
One (1) piece of Primary ID from Category 1 OR
Two (2) pieces of Secondary ID from Category 2 (one w/digitized photo)
VALID Primary ID
VALID Secondary ID
•SCIS card (cannot be expired by more than 1 year)
•Combined BC Driver’s Licence & Services Card
|•Certificate of Birth
•Certificate Marriage or Divorce
•Provincial Health Card
•Employee ID with digitized photo
|•Student ID with digitized photo
•Current CIS card (CIS cannot be expired by more than 6 months)
- BC Care Card, expired ID, SIN cards, photocopied ID or Certified Copied ID WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
- ID must be intact and readable
- Previously issued Status Cards (even if expired) must be returned to the issuing officer upon receipt of your replacement/renewal Status Card
CIS For Clients who are 16 years or older in care of the Ministry or Legal Guardian:
If an applicant is 16 years old and in care of MCFD, the applicant MUST meet the adult ID requirements.
Children (15 and under): Acceptable Identification for CIS Issuance
- One piece of primary ID (from Category 1); or
- Two pieces of secondary ID, one of which must have a digitized photo (from Category 2);
* If applicable, a copy of the legal guardianship order naming the guardian, if the legal guardian is applying on behalf of the child.
- One piece of ID from either Category 1 or 2.
For children between 12 and 15 years old applying for a renewal or replacement only, please follow identification requirements for adults (First CIS must be applied by parents or guardians).
* BC Care Card, expired ID, SIN cards, photocopied ID or Certified Copied ID WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
* ID must be intact and readable
* Your previously issued Status Card (even if expired) must be returned to the issuing officer or shredded in a secure manner upon receipt of your replacement/renewal Status Card
SECURED CERTIFICATE OF INDIAN STATUS (SCIS)
Processing time: 2-4 months after Indigenous Services Canada receives completed application
Expiration: Adult ages 16+ (10 years), Child(ren) Ages 15 & under (5 years)
APPLICATION FOR ALREADY REGISTERED PERSONS REQUIREMENTS
- Original Completed SCIS Application for already registered
- Original Guarantor Declaration
- Copy of one (1) Valid piece of Government issued Photo ID *Must be certified by the Guarantor
Who can be a Guarantor? Eligible Occupations
In order to be eligible to act as a Guarantor, an individual must:
|If an applicant DOES NOT know anyone who can act as a Guarantor or trusted source, they may submit a Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor (83-170E).|
|Please refer to the Guarantors and References module for complete information regarding Document Requirements, Guarantors and Trusted Sources.|
|Situations when a Guarantor Declaration is required|
|Mail In Applications||
|Third Party In-Person Applications||
|The Guarantor will|
|Complete and sign Guarantor Form
BIRTH REGISTRATION REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Original Application for Registration
- Original Birth Certificate with parental information
- Original Guarantor Declaration
- Copy of Applicant/Applying parent/legal guardian’s Valid Photo ID *Must be certified by the Guarantor
- Copy of any Name Linking documents (ie. Marriage Certificate, Legal name change Certificate, Court Order, etc) *Only required if the applicant’s name or applying parent’s name is different from their supporting ID
- Original Statutory Declarations *Only required for the purpose of unstated parentage
- Copy of Legal Custody Documents *Only required where a court order or agreement exists referring to custody of a child/dependant adult
- Original 2 Passport style photos *Only required when requested and must be certified by the guarantor
MARRIAGE EVENT REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Original Marriage Certificate (eg. issued by Vital Statistics) *Note: Marriage registrations and church registrations are no longer acceptable
- Original Declaration of surname on marriage or written statement
DIVORCE EVENT REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Copy of Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute
- Original Request to record Divorce
DEATH EVENT REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Copy of Death Document *Acceptable documentation: Vital Statistics Death Record or Extract; Church Death Certificate; Coroner’s Report; or Burial permit/Internment Certificate
BAND TRANSFER REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Original Accepting BCR
- Original Consent to Transfer
- Copy of Legal custody documents *Only Required where a court order or agreement exists referring to custody of child/dependant adult